AGA convened a special work group of government officials to develop this ToolKit because:
- The typical organization loses 5 percent of its annual revenue to fraud.
- Governments are the second most frequent victims of fraud (after banking).
- The median duration of those fraud schemes that are discovered is 18 months.
- Nearly half of victim organizations do not recover any losses that they suffer due to fraud.
Source: Association of Certified Fraud Examiners'
2012 Report to the Nations
"There is no kind of dishonesty into which otherwise good people more easily and
more frequently fall than that of defrauding the government."
- Ben Franklin
The ToolKit is organized in a manner that promotes education. It contains a comprehensive array of tools, posters,
educational materials, PowerPoint Presentations and videos. Users can find tools
by looking under business process such as accounts receivable, program areas
like the Office of Management and Budget's high-risk programs, or by fraud type
such as Bid Rigging.
- Quick summaries of types of fraud likely to be encountered
- Tools you can use today, without delay, to help in your
fight against governmental fraud.
- Links to a wide array of fraud-fighting resources including
procedures, protocols, posters and papers on identifying and preventing fraud.
- Information organized so that you, in whatever role you
play in government operations, can find what you need to fight fraud
This ToolKit addresses fraud risks, red flags, and controls to help your department
implement an action plan.
This toolKit is a down payment on a much larger vision for opening the lines of communication among governments.
It will be expanded to cover grants management, subrecipient monitoring and other topics that can help advance
governmental accountability. Please let us know how we can improve this TooKit and how it can be expanded to help
government officials at all levels do their jobs even better!